“Roger was the best player in the school basketball team. He could not make it to the nationals."
Read these two sentences carefully. They both are complete sentences, and they convey the information. However, something is not quite right there. Now, read these following sentences –
"Roger was the best player in the school basketball team. However, he could not make it to the nationals."
Now there’s only one extra word in this pair of sentences than the one mentioned in the beginning, yet the readability of the latter one is better than the first one. Why?
Well, it is because of the transition word. The transition words such as “However” allow the writer to maintain a flow between two sentences, paragraphs or sections. While writing an essay, the right use of transition words and transition phrases can not only improve the readability of the content but also make the content more coherent.
What Is a Transition Word or Transition Phrase?
Transition words or phrases show the readers the relationship between phrases, sentences, or even paragraphs. When you use transition words for essays or other forms of writing, you make it easier for the readers to understand how your thoughts and ideas are connected. This helps you prepare your readers for what is coming.
It can be a single word like “moreover”, “however”, “furthermore”, “unfortunately”, etc., or there can be a phrase like “as a result”, “in spite of”, “In conclusion”, “In other words”, etc. However, based on the use of these transition words and phrases, they are categorised in to several types.
Categories of Transitions
As mentioned, there are several types of transition words and phrases. Each of those types helps the readers make certain connections. While some signal the building of an idea, others allow the readers to compare ideas or draw conclusions. Here are some of the common types of transition words and phrases that you should consider using while writing an essay.
This type of transitions points out differences or alternatives. Here are some of the examples of such transitions:
- Robert likes to play baseball, but he is afraid of getting hit by the ball.
- Similarly, he did not care about what others think of him.
- On the contrary, he is one of the finest singers in our class.
This kind of transitions helps define the timeline. Here are some of the examples of such transitions:
- During that period, our family used to run a business of shoemaking.
- Before you say anything, just hear me out.
- Later, things got a bit more complicated.
Such transitions show the consequences of an action. You can get some idea about this transition from the examples:
- Since you did not eat last night, we made a heavy breakfast for you.
- Therefore, you should not avail their services.
- As a result, the plant grew in such a weird shape.
- Because you don’t sleep properly, you have dark circles around your eyes.
This form of transition words and phrases add emphasis or introduce evidence. Some of the practical examples of this type of transition are given below:
- Mark has got the job at the Oval office. He truly deserves it.
- Specifically, Mark loves to stay involved in the administrative process.
- To demonstrate his passion for the job, he worked there for months without taking any day off.
This type of transitions adds information or reinforces the idea. You can find the examples of such transitions below:
- Hank could sing, dance, and also write his own dialogues.
- Moreover, the service guarantees on-time delivery of the order.
- Furthermore, he worked for an MNC for two and a half years.
This type of transition words and phrases show support. Here are some examples of such transitions in sentences:
- In other words, the batsman will not be playing in the second inning.
- To put in another way, the store should stop selling stale foods.
- I hate mashed potatoes; that is, my whole body dislikes it.
Qualification transition words and phrases show conditions or intentions. Here are a few examples:
- This is possibly the best boxing-day test match of all time.
- They almost made it to the finals that year.
- With this in mind, this could be facing the toughest match of the season for them.
The conclusion transition words and phrases restate the ideas. Here are some examples:
- As you can see, there has been a massive fall in sales this year.
- Given these points, it is quite evident that they are in need of professional assistance.
- In the long run, these skills will benefit your career.
Now that you have a better understanding of the transition words and phrases and their uses, you have better chances at producing more quality content. Otherwise, you can always seek assistance from the professionals for your academic papers.
Struggling to Produce a Quality Essay?
Expert Assistance Is Just a Click Away
If you are still not sure about developing a quality essay paper on your own, you can avail the necessary assistance from the experts at MyEssayAssignmenthelp.com. The website has over 5,000 academic experts from different academic backgrounds. In fact, a majority of them have PhDs under their name. Besides their qualifications, their essay assignment writing skills are also enviable. They know the write use of transition words for essays to produce quality essays.
Moreover, with each order at MyEssayAssignmenthelp.com, you get to enjoy the following features at no additional cost:
- Error-free, well-structured essays as per your instructions
- 100% plagiarism-free solutions with an on-demand report
- Timely delivery of the solutions even for urgent orders
- Affordable pricing with great deals and discounts for everyone
- Complete privacy of user data from the third parties
- Free rework guarantee for unfulfilled orders
- 24x7 active customer support with assured instant response
- Safe and secure payment gateways to ensure hassle-free transactions
So, why are you still waiting? Place an order at MyEssayAssignmenthelp.com, and get the much-needed essay writing assistance from the top writers in the business.